1. Joan’s real name was Jehanne d’Arc, Jehanne Tarc, Jehanne Romée or possibly Jehanne de Vouthon—but she didn’t go by any of these.
2. In modern times, some doctors and scholars have “diagnosed” Joan of Arc with disorders ranging from epilepsy to schizophrenia.
3. While commander of the French army, Joan of Arc didn’t participate in active combat.
4. Joan of Arc had a famously volatile temper.
5. Contrary to popular belief, Joan of Arc wasn’t burned at the stake for witchcraft—at least not technically.
6. From 1434 to 1440, Joan’s brothers passed an imposter off as their sister, claiming she’d escaped execution.
7. Joan of Arc inspired the ever-popular bob haircut, which originated in Paris in 1909.